Monday, October 17, 2016

Dominic // 3 Months

Age
3 months old
Size/Stats
15 pounds 15 ounces and 23 inches long. Wearing size 3 diapers starting at 12 weeks. Wearing size 6 month clothes starting at 11 weeks. He definitely had a growth spurt this month, right around 10 weeks. He gained 1 pound 4 ounces in 4 days!
 


Feeding Schedule
Still breastfeeding on demand. Most of the month he was still eating every 2 hours during the day. I slowly started stretching him to every 2.5-3 hours later in the month anticipating the start of daycare. I remember Rocco was eating every 3 hours by 12 weeks, and while obviously every baby is different, I assumed Dominic could go every 3 by then too. And sure enough, right before starting daycare he was at the every 3 hour mark.

During maternity leave I hadn't really thought much about bottle feeding. There was really no reason to give him a bottle so..I didn't. And then 2 weeks before starting daycare it occurred to me that we should probably try. I've read on mom facebook pages about babies refusing bottles and all the stress that causes, but I never really thought it would be an issue since Rocco did just fine switching back and forth from breast to bottle. I was so wrong. Dominic refused. He wanted absolutely nothing to do with it. He would scream and scream any time I came near him with a bottle. I would spend 10 minutes calming him down just to try again and have him start screaming all over again. If I got the bottle anywhere near his mouth he would push the nipple out with his tongue or clamp his mouth shut all together. I started asking friends for advice and several people suggested trying different types of bottles. We started with what we already owned and when those didn't work, I bought more. And then I bought even more. We tried every kind of bottle I could find in the store. I tried regular nipples, orthodontic nipples, faster flows, slower flows, anti-colic bottles, I even ordered pricier bottles from Amazon. People also suggested having others try to feed him as he may just refuse it from me. I tried, Joe tried, my friend Kelly tried, my MIL tried, and my sister-in-law tried. It was really stressful and I cried so many times thinking of sending him to daycare with the possibility that he wouldn't eat all day. Over time he did slowly take a few ounces here and there. My sister-in-law (and BFF) came over the weekend before he started daycare to give it one last effort to try to ease my mind...and sure enough...he sucked down a few ounces without a single peep. That first day of daycare was still stressful since I knew it would be all new faces to him. I called to check in and they said he really hadn't eaten but that they cared for babies before that had the same trouble and that he would be fine. It did take a few days, but by the second week he was doing much better.
 Sleep
He is pretty consistently sleeping a 4-5 hour stretch at the beginning of the night and then up every 2 or so hours after that. He is sleeping in the bouncy seat with the Swaddle Up. He did have one night where he slept 7.5 hours! He still loves being held for naps at home, but will sleep swaddled in a crib at daycare.
 











Milestones
He definitely found his voice this month! He loves to babble and does so very loudly! He's almost laughing too which is so cute. He opens his mouth really wide and makes a squealing noise that's almost a laugh, but not quite. He also loves to blow bubbles.

 Favorite Things
He still loves being worn in the Solly Wrap. He will only sleep at night in his bouncy seat/swing. He loves listening to the music and watching the toys on his play mat, and he loves baths.
 
Least Favorite Things
He still dislikes his pacifier, at least from me. He takes it at daycare, but not at home. And he really hates his car seat. He screams every time he's in it almost as soon as I buckle him in.

Favorite Gear/Products
Solly Wrap, Infantino play mat, bouncy seat/swing, boppy pillow.
 


Health
Right at the 12 week mark he all of a sudden stopped screaming for hours every evening. It really was like a switch was flipped. He's still crabby in the evenings, but it's nothing like it was up until this point. Praise Jesus. That was stressful.
We are back to just giving Zantac. We give him 2ml 2x/day. This seems to be helping with the reflux. He's definitely much happier during the day too.
 
Sibling Interaction
He is always watching Rocco and smiling at him, it's the cutest thing. Rocco is always worried about where he is and what he's doing. He often gives him hugs and kisses unprompted and beams when Dominic smiles at him.



Going back to work was definitely the hardest part of this past month. I love my job, but I love my boys more and wish I could spend all of my days with them, no matter how stressful those days would be. I know it'll get easier with time though, just like it did after Rocco.

Much Love,
B.

No comments:

Post a Comment