Monday, October 17, 2016

Dominic // 4 Months

Age
4 Months
Size/Stats
16 pounds 13 ounces and 26 inches long. Still wearing size 3 diapers and 6 month clothes.

Feeding Schedule
Still breastfeeding on demand. He is eating pretty consistently every 3 hours since starting daycare. Some days he does eat a little more often. He is doing much better with bottles at daycare. They say he still takes quite a while to finish each one, but he has been eating more and more. At the beginning of the month I was sending three 4 ounce bottles and he was eating 3 ounces from two of them and a little less from the third. At the end of the month he was finishing all three bottles consistently, so I started sending 5 ounces in each bottle and he usually eats 4.5-5 ounces from each one.
Sleep
He is taking 2 naps a day at daycare. The first one is usually about an hour and the second one is anywhere from one hour to two hours. At daycare he is swaddled in a regular swaddle me swaddle with his arms down and sleeping in a crib with a pacifier. It's crazy how different my babies are at daycare than they are at home. At home he screams as soon as I set him down for naps so I mostly hold him if I want him to get any sleep while at home. He usually falls asleep in the car on the way home for a catnap and I try to make sure he is awake by 6pm.
He did have one night this month where he slept 7 hours straight, just like last month, but other than that night, sleep has gone downhill for us ever since I went back to work. As soon as I went back to work he would not stay asleep no matter where I put him or how I swaddled, or didn't swaddle him. I tried the bassinet again, different swaddles, no swaddle, and I even moved the crib to our room thinking he would want to lay flat like he does at daycare. He WILL NOT stay asleep. I feel like we took a huge step backwards by having him sleep in the moving swing again, but it was the only thing that would work for the first 2 weeks that I was back at work. After that he was ok to sleep in the bouncy seat without any movement. Regardless where he sleeps, the longest stretch besides the 7 hour night, has only been 3 hours. Most nights I'm lucky to get 2 hour stretches. There have been several nights where he has been up every hour. I'm not sure if this is considered the 4 month sleep regression, but it's brutal whatever it is.
We are using the Halo sleep sack swaddle with his arms down.
He did get his 4 month shots this month and that was our worst night yet. He slept a combined total of 2 hours and that was only if I was holding him.



Milestones
He can't sit up on his own quite yet, but he loves sitting in the bumbo!
He makes a real laughing sound now and is so happy most of the time.
He chews his hands all the time.

 
Favorite Things
He loves singing. Any song will do, he just lights up whenever I sing to him.
He loves watching his brother play and act crazy. We usually kill time in the evenings by watching Rocco jump on his bed and make silly faces and Dominic belly laughs watching him.
He loves being outside. He is totally content to just sit in a baby seat in the driveway or under the tree and watch his brother play.


Least Favorite Things
Besides sleep, there really isn't much he doesn't like this month.

Favorite Gear/Products
He has decided that he likes pacifiers again. We use the Mam brand. He doesn't take it all the time, mostly just in the car and every now and then at night.
We brought the jumperoo upstairs after seeing a friend with a baby the same age using hers. He absolutely loves it! Sometimes he jumps and other times he just hangs out in it putting whatever he can reach in his mouth.
We love the Boppy Lounger. I drag that thing all over the house to set him in while I get things done.
 
Health
He caught his first cold this month after being in daycare for 3 weeks. I knew it would happen since Rocco was the same way, but it's still sad to see him sick. He was grabbing at his ear a few times, but both ears were clear at two separate visits this month.
I had stopped his Zantac right after starting daycare. Initially it was unintentional, it was just because I was in such a hurry in the morning and I would forget to give it. But then the ladies at daycare said he was never fussy during the day so I figured he maybe didn't need it anymore. The first weekend after he started daycare he refused to nurse. The only times I could get him to latch on was if he was already asleep. He was arching his back and crying a lot while awake so I started thinking that maybe he really did still need the reflux medication. I started him back on it and after a few days he was back to nursing like normal. It definitely could have been a coincidence, but we haven't had the feeding issues since, so I'm assuming it had something to do with it. I did ask his pediatrician about when a good time would be to start trying to wean off his meds and she said usually around 6 or 7 months, so we will wait until then to try again.
 
Sibling Interaction
Rocco adores his brother. He is always trying to give him high fives and pound its.
We were all sitting in the living room one day and Rocco ran to his room and came back with 3 toys, one for each of us, and he gave the best toy to Dominic.
Rocco is always checking on him and always talking about teaching him things when he gets bigger.

This month has been so hard with the lack of sleep but it has been so great to watch him become a happier baby during the day.

Much Love,
B.

No comments:

Post a Comment