Sunday, September 27, 2015

I Am My Response

Yesterday started out with a lot of time in the car and literal kicking and screaming from the back seat for an obscene amount of time. It ended with an over hour long bedtime routine that usually takes 10 minutes. Countless tantrums filled the space between the kicking and screaming and the marathon bedtime routine. I lost my patience an embarrassing number of times and was full of regret all day as I thought about my response to each tantrum thrown my way. I was exhausted and frustrated as I laid down and caught up on some blogs. This article came up as a Friday Favorite on one of my favorite blogs to read. It really hit home for me especially after the day I had. Such a great reminder to pause for a few seconds before making knee jerk reactions to every frustrating situation. Had I stopped and considered the cause for each tantrum I may have noticed that he was tired, sick of being in the car, not feeling well from the cold he had been fighting, was in need of some extra snuggles, or all of the above. Or perhaps it was none of those things at all and he was just being a cranky almost 2 year old, but I would have spared myself some regret and shown a little more grace. And that would have benefited both of us. I'll never get it right ALL of the time, but I sure will keep trying.
 
Much Love,
B.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment